Wednesday, March 12, 2008
Update from Florida
Have you ever been on a vacation where you were ridiculously sick the whole time? Welcome to my trip to Florida so far! The flu continues. Today, I feel like I'm finally over the hump.
A few observations:
1. Sanibel Island is an amazing place. There are plenty of people here, but everything is low key. There aren't even traffic lights on the island.
2. Even though I've been sick, I have had a few opportunities to get out. Monday morning, I went on a scouting field trip around the island. I made it to Ding Darling, and by sheer luck, I ran into about 20 photographers and 30 roseate spoonbills. After shooting there for about an hour, I absolutely felt like crap and slept the rest of the day, but, I got some spoonbill shots.
3. We aren't staying on the ocean, but we are only about a 3 minute walk from the beach. The shorebirds and shells here are amazing. There was a storm just before we came, which washed up many live creatures. The shorebirds have been feasting.
4. We are staying on a canal built for boats, but it is also full of interesting wildlife as well. Most interesting are the manatees. When I haven't been sleeping, I've been sitting in a lawn chair along the side of the canal, camera in hand, taking pictures of the manatees. There is also an extremely tame little blue heron that tried to take food out of my hand practically. There are also several white ibis, snowy egrets, and brown pelicans around.
5. The internet service here is quite lacking. For some reason, my laptop is not able to connect to the Beach Road Villas wireless network. Megan's uncle, Harry, also brought his laptop, so I'm typing on his machine right now. If i feel better, I'll scope out a coffe shop and upload some images.
Thats it for now. I'm feeling a bit better this evening, but that is after taking five hours of naps today! Megan and I are going to make a quick trip to Ding Darling tomorrow morning. Hope everyone is doing well back in Ohio and the Midwest and that everyone's snow has melted!